Read answers to commonly asked questions about Provent Therapy. What is Provent Therapy, how does it work, is it comfortable, and how is it administered.
What is Provent Therapy?
Provent Therapy is a safe, non-invasive, and clinically effective treatment for all severities of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). Provent is a disposable medical device that’s worn at night and attaches with a hypoallergenic adhesive over the nostrils. The microvalve technology uses a person’s own breathing to create EPAP. Provent comes in a number of different packs which are all available through CPAP Australia’s online store.
What is EPAP?
Expiratory positive airway pressure, or EPAP, refers to a mode of breathing which applies positive airway pressure during the critical end-expiratory period, which is when the airway is most narrow. The Provent nasal device uses this technology to treat obstructive sleep apnea. Speak to your doctor about whether it is a suitable treatment for your sleep apnea.
How does Provent Therapy work?
Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy works to treat obstructive sleep apnea by increasing pressure in the airway when you breathe out, helping to prevent collapse of the airway while you sleep. When you inhale through the nose airflow is nearly unobstructed, allowing for normal breathing. Upon breathing out the microvalve closes, directing air through small air channels, increasing resistance. Expiratory resistance creates EPAP and maintains pressure in the airway until next inspiration.
What does it feel like to wear Provent?
Provent nose plugs can make the process of exhaling air feel slightly more restrictive. To get a sense of what it might feel like to wear Provent nasal strips, pinch the bridge of your nose with your fingers and try breathing out. This is the sensation you might experience when first trying Provent. Adapting may be difficult at first but you’ll quickly get used to it.
Is Provent Therapy comfortable?
Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy can take some time getting used to, and may even feel uncomfortable at first. It’s perfectly normal for patients to experience discomfort for the first week or longer. If you wake up feeling uncomfortable during the night, remove the Provent nasal device and try again the next day. Though it may take time to adjust, continued use of Provent nose plugs can be an important step towards better health.
How do I use Provent?
After speaking with your doctor about whether Provent is a suitable treatment for you, the next step is to master the correct placement of Provent nasal strips. Follow these instructions to ensure a good fit:
- Just prior to going to sleep, remove each nasal device from the white card by grasping the tab and pealing it off. Start with a clean dry nose.
- Using a mirror, align the mesh part of the device with your nostril to ensure correct placement. Point the tab on the adhesive up towards your eye.
- Apply and press down gently on the adhesive to create a seal. Stretch your upper lip downward as when shaving.
- Check for a proper fit. Make sure that each nostril is covered with the device. Run your finger around the adhesive of each device to ensure there is a good seal. There should be no air leaks.
- Put on the Provent nose plugs right before bed and breathe through your mouth while you fall asleep. Most people will switch to nasal breathing after they fall asleep and the device will begin to work
What’s the difference between Provent Therapy and CPAP?
The main differences between CPAP and Provent Therapy are as follows:
- Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy restricts your ability to exhale, while CPAP increases pressure on both inspiration and expiration.
- Unlike CPAP which uses forced air to increase pressure in the airway, Provent Therapy uses the patient’s own breathing to create EPAP.
Where to get Provent?
CPAP Australia is one of the main suppliers of Provent nasal strips in Australia. If you’re new to Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy, you can try our 30 day starter ramp kit. We also stock 30 day packs for regular users and 180 day packs for more experienced Provent users. Buy Provent online or visit one of our many clinics and order a pack today.